Sunday, June 30, 2013

Billy Joel Cost me my Job


Billy Joel

Billy Joel Cost me my Job!
I loved doing the Lobsterman with Maclean & Maclean.
My last performance was at the El Macombo. We were doing the last set and as I was getting ready to go up to the stage I saw the manager whisk Billy Joel and his band to a reserved table.
When it came time for me to do the lobsterman
 I sang the Lobster song I stuck Billy Joel's name into it.
"There is an apple up me arsehole and Billy Joel can have the core." The Macleans looked at me in askance, in the bright lights they had no idea what was going on until after the show.

After the show, The manager brought Billy Joel up to the dressing room and we found that Billy Joel was a big fan of dirty Humor . He had tapes of the then unheard Peter Cook and Dudley Moore Jayne Mansfield routine. The management provided cases of Heineken's and we drank and partied late into the night.  Billy Joel raved about the show. But all that he could really remember was me. The Macleans never asked me back to sing again. They always denied it but even 5 or 6 years later. They would say for me to come up and sing the lobsterman and somehow forget to do it. I never sang with them again.

No comments:

Post a Comment